Vacuum is applied between workpiece and clamping device. The atmospheric pressure forces the workpiece down to the clamping device.
Advantages of vacuum clamping:
· 5 sides of the workpiece may be nachined in one setup
· No distorsion of workpiece because (atmospheric) pressure is applied to the whole surface.
· No marks from clamping, as common with mechanical clamping devices.
· Vibrations are damped because the workpiece is completely supported.
· High repeatability, therefore high precicion.
· Clamping in very short time.
· Less setups, higher quality.